We believe that businesses should be held to the very highest ethical standards. We take our social and environmental responsibilities very seriously.
Giving Back to Planet Earth
The majority of our clients are involved in the earth and geographical sciences; therefore, the Earth (and occasionally other planets!) are quite literally our bread and butter. We think that this makes us doubly responsible for protecting our planet.
We are a proud member of 1% for the Planet and donate at least 1% of our annual sales to environmental non profits creating positive change. In addition, we have pledged to minimise our carbon footprint. However, we recognise that we cannot remove it completely. To make up the shortfall, we are proud to offset our carbon footprint through partnership with the Carbon Fund.
Fairer Taxes Make Fairer Societies
We believe that taxes are necessary for building strong and fair societies. As a signatory to the Fair Tax Pledge, Tornillo Scientific agrees to:
- Declare all of our income openly, honestly and on a timely basis.
- Not use tax havens to reduce any tax that we owe.
- Not use tax avoidance arrangements requiring disclosure to any tax authority or that fall foul of general anti-tax avoidance rules.
- Not enter into any arrangement that might reduce the tax that we owe in a way that the law never intended.
- Inform any accountant or tax adviser contracted by us that we have made this pledge and ask them to help us to comply with it.
Ensuring a Fair and Safe Working Environment
We believe that people deserve to be treated with respect and courtesy, and that everybody is entitled to a fair and safe working environment. To that end, we pledge to:
- Recruit employees (including freelancers and student interns) on the basis of merit, without reference to age, race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, family responsibility (e.g., role as a carer or parent), or disability.
- Never pay less than a fair living wage (as calculated according to UK standards).
- Comply fully with UK labour laws.
At Tornillo Scientific, we don't believe that people should work for free; therefore, we do not offer unpaid internships.